Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Monday Memories Two Days Late



When Susan died it was the worst thing I have ever been through. Nothing compares to it at this point in time and I really don't want to have to go through this again. I still can't believe that she is gone, it is so surreal and most of us feel this. She was such a vital part of our lifes and we lost the heart of our family when she left. I'm sure she has met everyone in heaven now because of her love for people. She would seek out and find. God is enjoying her now but she is so missed her. I love you SueSanne.

We loved to camp and we had such fun doing that and Sue always had to have steak for at least one of our dinners while camping along with home-made french fries. Sue, Johnny, Floyd and I went to Scout Mountain and late night Sue had to go potty and she and I got stuck in the outhouse because there was a bat that kept low flying around it and wouldn't quit. We were afraid to come out. Of course we had to but it took some time for us to work up the nerve.

Susan is sorely missed by this family and will always be remembered for the love she had for all Gods creatures, the joy she found in being with family, the love she spread both far and near, for her wonderful humor and just for being our SUSIE!!!

This was written by Jeff for a special tribute to Sue that the family had.


“Sueisms”
The Wit, Mannerisms, and Eccentricities of Susan Crystal Read

In the five months since her passing we have all had time to reflect on the impact and imprint Susan had on our lives. Each of us has, no doubt, relived the special personal memories that we shared with Suey, and each of us has found comfort and peace in those memories. While we have our individual treasured memories of Sue, we also have a collective memory that is made up of some purposeful, but usually accidental, witticisms, mannerisms, and eccentricities that define Sue’s impact on the family.


Sue had some wonderful “one-liners” that she uttered that became part of our family folklore. During one of daddy’s stays at the hospital his plumbing wasn’t working as it should. Upon being catheterized he was able to relieve himself of a lot of urine, and remarked that he felt as if he had just given birth. Without a blink, Sue responded, “Yes, you gave birth to a ‘liter’ one!” This of course was followed by the heaving and wheezing laugh that we all knew and loved.


… And then there was the time that Susan saw an opportunity to take a stab at Johnny with a friendly insult. The problem for Sue in moments like this was that her excitement over what she had just thought of to say often clouded her logic and reasoning to the point where things would not come out quite as she had intended. So, her insult to Johnny, who had just asked her for a match, ended up with her insulting herself by answering, “Yeah, I have a match for you; my face and your butt!”


Sue was also prone to use certain vocabulary, though not necessarily strange or improper, was certainly different from the shared family lexicon.
We would all go to the “bathroom” or “toilet”.
Sue would go to the “ladies” room”.
We would “go” or “leave” a place.
Sue would “dash off”.
We would be “tired” or “worn out”.
Sue would “phew”.
Susan had little mannerisms or quirks that we teased her about, but I really think we all were a bit envious of her simple and innocent approach to life, and many of her mannerisms tended to reflect that simplicity and innocence.


Suey had a particular way of folding her arms so that her hands lay across the top of each boob, her fingers in the arm pits, and her thumbs pointing up.


When she had to pee she had to pee. She never met a restaurant bathroom that she did not like, and for some reason she found sitting on a toilet with her pants around her knees a perfect time to hum a song or meditate on the meaning of life.


She loved to dance, but for some reason always appeared comical when she would dance. No matter! She danced! We laughed! … And the world was a better place.


Kissing animals was a necessity.


Saving spiders and bugs was a calling.


She loved steak, “roast beast”, and French fries.


She despised most vegetables.


In conclusion, she had short legs that barely reached the ground. This may explain some of her mannerisms and nuances, because her stubs did not allow her to breathe the higher grade of oxygen that was available to those of us with normal legs.


I miss her more than I am brave or strong enough to acknowledge and confront. She was the glue that bonded us all together, and we will never be the same without her.





3 comments:

Rachel said...

I remember camping at Scout Mountain with her when I was younger. I have a vivid memory of sitting on her lap while she played with my hair and told me how beautiful it looked with it's auburn highlights. It's a random memory, but one that I treasure.

smellnat45 said...

Well that was sad. I miss her so much and now I'm crying like a big ol baby! This is just the pits. I get so upset at times because life doesnt go the way I want it to go. She sure was allot of fun. Lets have another Susan day. Oh my goodness, I really miss her. I can see her smile and here her laughing almost as if she were right here with me. I remember, nevermind I'm adding it to my blog. Tootles

Luana said...

Adding Jeff's tribute was a nice touch. I haven't read it in awhile. It made me laugh. That Suey was a real corker!