Ten years ago in October or November Amy & Kevin got their first Bassett Hound and named her Penny. They were living in Utah at the time and came up to show her off. Even daddy got to meet her at that time and today he met her again. Two weeks ago they found out that Penny had cancer and she was given about six months. In the two weeks since, she has gone down hill very fast. She was no longer eating and her breathing was very labored. The poor little thing was in bad shape. They had her put to sleep at nine this morning. Amy did tell me that Kevin is having a hard time with it but it needed to be done. Cortnie knows and is okay with it because of how the two of them (Amy & Kevin) are handling it with her. Amy & Kevin may not go to church but they are teaching Cortnie all about Jesus and God and heaven. She is very aware of where people go when they die and animals as well.
Even though I am not very fond of Bassett Hounds I have gotten teary eyed over Penny. Maybe its because she was important to three people who are important to me and for them it will be rough. You can't have an animal that long and not hurt when it goes to doggy heaven. Sandy told Cortnie that Susan could play with Penny now.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Lobo doesn't go soon too. He howled (the Bassett howl) all the time they had Penny at the vets two weeks ago. I don't think he will be able to go on without her. Amy isn't sure either.
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh, that is so sad. I feel mostly bad for Lobo. He lost his companion. What a sad sad story.
This is a very sad thing for all of them and must be very hard for poor Lobo!! Who took Penny in? My heart is hurting for him and for them as well...I know how much they loved her!!
Losing a beloved pet hurts terribly, I know from experience. I feel so sorry for Kevin and Amy, but more so almost for the lonely dog that's left.
Post a Comment